LD4SOS have issued this statement of Lib Dem Policies relating to refugees and asylum seekers, relevant to the current European Parliamentary elections on 23rd May
- We reiterate our commitment to the 1951 UN Refugee Convention and to the right of every person to seek and enjoy asylum.
- We support the creation of ‘safe and legal routes to Europe’ through the introduction of humanitarian visas.
- We endorse EU search and rescue operations and tackling criminal people-smuggling.
- We strongly oppose all forms of racism, division of societies and hatred against human beings.
We believe the UK should play an active part in Europe by:
- Implementing in full Section 67 of the Immigration Act 2016 welcoming unaccompanied refugee children, expanding the commitment to 10,000 children over the next 10 years
- Speeding up processes for taking unaccompanied children with established family links in the UK
- Offering safe and legal routes to the UK for at least 10,000 refugees a year by expanding the Syrian Vulnerable Persons Resettlement Scheme to cover other conflict zones such as Myanmar
- Ending the travesty of the Calais camps by committing to properly assess applications of those with relevant links to the UK