We welcome the official announcement below today by Christine Jardine of the Lib Dem fair and effective immigration and asylum system. Note the link at the end to further information.
These key points are part of a raft of Lib Dem policies on asylum and refugee issues. You can see more detail through these links to our mini manifesto on these issues http://libdemfocus.co.uk/ld4sos/archives/330 and our policy briefings here http://libdemfocus.co.uk/ld4sos/archives/category/documents
Lib Dems announce proposals to fix broken immigration system
The Liberal Democrats have unveiled their Plan for Immigration and Asylum. The plan sets out the party’s ambitious proposals for a fair, effective immigration system – part of the Liberal Democrats’ broader plan to build a brighter future.
The Liberal Democrat manifesto will outline plans to reform and strengthen our immigration system by:
- Saving EU free movement and safeguarding the rights of UK and EU citizens.
- Scrapping the Conservatives’ Hostile Environment.
- Investing in officers, training and technology to prevent illegal entry at Britain’s borders, assist seekers of sanctuary and combat human trafficking and the smuggling of people, weapons, drugs and wildlife.
- Making detention an absolute last resort, with a 28-day time limit.
- Resettling 10,000 vulnerable refugees each year, and a further 10,000 unaccompanied refugee children from elsewhere in Europe over the next ten years.
Announcing the plan, Liberal Democrat Shadow Home Secretary Christine Jardine said:
“The UK’s immigration system is broken and it is hurting everyone. Employers can’t recruit the workers they need. People are wrongly denied access to healthcare and housing, detained and even deported. Public confidence in the system has been shattered.
“Decades of hostile policies and rhetoric from Labour and Conservative governments have created a system that no one trusts, and that fails to respect people’s dignity. Now both Labour and the Conservatives want to make it all much worse by delivering Brexit and ending free movement.
“Liberal Democrats will build a brighter future, with a fair, effective immigration system that treats everyone with dignity and respect. We will scrap the Conservatives’ Hostile Environment, restore dignity and common sense, and stop Brexit to save free movement.”
Further details about the Liberal Democrats’ Plan for Immigration and Asylum can be found here.